I don’t know about any of you, but for me letting go is quite possibly the hardest thing for me to do.
In some ways I think it’s a good thing. I get pretty attached if given the chance. But this makes ripping off the metaphorical bandaid even harder. So letting go of things that I’ve placed a sentimental value on is pretty difficult. As you can imagine, letting go of people is nearly impossible for me.
So when I had my first big falling out with someone I cared about, well let’s just say I was pretty down.
Here is what I learned when faced with having to let go of others:
- DO NOT keep trying to make things better. As good as your intentions may be, if the other person s unwilling to accept that then it’s kind of pointless.
- DO NOT keep tabs (cough cough stalk) the other person. As much as you might want to see if they’re as unhappy as you are, just don’t do it. Unless that works for you then go ahead, but personally I wanted to cry every time I checked their timeline.
- DO NOT blame yourself. This one is especially important. You have to realize life happens and whatever mistakes you made have already happened and you are in no way responsible for the other person’s actions.
- MOVE THE FUCK FORWARD. At this point you need some tough love and a thick skin. You need to move on and stop dwelling on the past.
- ACCEPT what happened. This part can be pretty painful. You have to come to the realization that this person doesn’t want to be a part of your life anymore.
- Know that IT’S OKAY TO DISTANCE YOURSELF from the other person. If they make you feel bad then you have absolutely no reason to keep them in your life. This part was particularly difficult for me because we were on a team together, so it was pretty painful for a few months.
- It’s okay to miss them but DO NOT let their memory take over you. So basically don’t do exactly what I did. Again, I’m really sentimental and when I make a connection with someone it’s really hard to let go.
That’s basically all I know. Not much but hopefully it helps anyone who’s ever been in this situation.
How about you? Do you have any suggestions on how to get over someone? Have you ever been in this kind of situation? What did you do? Are you currently going through something similar?
Until next time, World.
Quill, signing off x